Thursday, May 24, 2007

Go West, Young Man

So, I mentioned that I might eventually share some more Scavenmixen. In that line, here's the (greatly anticipated and feared) Go West, Young Man road trip mix, one of many from this year's epic journey.

1. The Better Boyfriends - a clip from "The Power of Crisis Compels You" - And now it's time....
2. Roadside Theatre - There Was a Time/Dyin' If I'm Lyin' - There was a time when that wilderness went on forever.
3. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist - Have I ever told you a story of cowboys and Indians and midgets and frontier psychiatrists?
4. Moxy Früvous - Get in the Car - Don't give me that, you know who you are. Get in the car.
5. Dar Williams - Traveling Again - More speed, more deeds, more sky, more weeds.
6. What the Kids Want - Broken-Down Plan - It's the pearl of the Midwest, it's the town on your trip that you loved best.
7. They Might Be Giants - The End of the Tour - The engagements are booked through the end of world, so we'll meet at the end of the tour.
8. The Long Winters - Carparts - I'm leaving under cover of darkness.
9. Soulcrate Music - Thunderstorm - A black cloud over Sioux Falls.
10. The Long Winters - (It's a) Departure - I like the old days, but not all the old days; only the good old days.
11. DragonForce - Evening Star - We will sail on, forever on.
12. Relient K - Pressing On - Out of mind, out of state.
13. Kid Koala - Alright: Music for More Morning People - Statistics show that too much caffeine is not good for you, and I know it's sooo easy because I myself used to have, oh, 63, 64 cups a day.
14. Napoleon XIV - I Owe a Lot to Iowa Pot - ...and that's NOT just Iowa corn.
15. Jonathan Coulton - Just as Long as Me - It's a sad and lonesome story and the shorter folks don't care.
16. Calibretto - Don't Go into the Woods - Don't go into unknown places.
17. Maldroid - Heck No! (I'll Never Listen to Techno) - HECK NO!
18. America - Sister Golden Hair Surprise - Well, I tried to make it Sunday....
19. A New Found Glory - Dressed to Kill - You're always on tour, and you're never home.
20. The Arrogant Worms - Horizon - Cataclysmic combustion, picturesque powered pistons, accelerating automotive alarms, stunningly stupefying stereo stunts. One man, a dream, a car.
21. The Magnetic Fields - Reno Dakota - You know you enthrall me.
22. John Reischman and the Jaybirds - Prairie Girl - (BANJO SOLO!!!)
23. Toots and the Maytals - Take Me Home, Country Roads - West [South Dakota], mountain momma, take me home.
24. Becky Stark - The Car Song - Pump all the gas that your stomach can hold.
25. Johnny Cash - I Fought the Law - Great big rocks and the hot sun.
26. Eisley - Marvelous Things - Oh what marvelous things!
27. Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer - We're halfway there.
28. Dar Williams - Iowa - You were wandering out on the hills of Iowa.
29. The Magnetic Fields - Two Characters in Search of a Country Song - You were Calamity Jane and I was Wild Bill
30. The Mountain Goats - Jenny - 900 cc's of raw, winding power, no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
31. David Byrne - A Million Miles Away - I can see your house from here.
32. Garth Brooks - Ain't Goin' Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up - Goin' round the world in a pickup truck.
33. The Arrogant Worms - The Mounted Animal Nature Trail (live) - They're never hungry anymore, their last meal left them stuffed.

And that's it. I'm sure most of the road trippers understand how these songs tie in. (#15: All the road-trippy Judges were just really tall). Except for the random songs nobody's heard of. I recommend, in that case, that you look them up. I mean, I like them all, and I'm the objective standard.

No comments: